Support Specialist/Mental Health Practitioner
|December 05, 2012 - January 06, 2013|
|Employment Type:||Part Time|
Our Deaf Supported Living (DSL) program is searching for a part-time, on-call Support Specialist. This program provides supportive 24-hour Customized Living services for adults who are Deaf, Hard of Hearing, or Deaf-Blind, who use or want to use sign language as their primary mode of communication and who experience a mental illness. These services are provided in a ten-unit apartment building in NE Minneapolis. Staff help participants learn how to manage their finances, housing, medical care, community resources, transportation and other life skills.
Typical hours for the position are Friday and Saturday overnight, 12:00am Ė 8:30am. Additional shifts based upon availability and On-call 1st, 2nd or 3rd shifts as required.
The Support Specialist will provide awake supervision to residents in the program within the guidelines of each residentís Individual Treatment Plan (ITP). Residents of the program are Deaf, mentally ill adults and may have histories of moderate to severe behavior problems and secondary physical handicaps. This position also:
- Oversees preparation of meals
- Supervises meal times, chores, and personal hygiene
- Supervises self-administration of medication
- Supports leisure activities
- Encourages socialization
- Performs light housekeeping duties
- Fluency in American Sign Language (ASL)
- Bachelorís Degree
- Experience in a group home setting working with people who are deaf, mentally ill, and/or developmentally delayed
- Current drivers license
- Excellent driving record
- Current auto insurance
- Reliable personal vehicle
Preferred qualifications include:
- A Bachelorís Degree in a human service related field
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.